Fire closes Ozzie's Pizza
Bookmark and Share
Nov 28, 2012  |  Vote 0    0

Fire closes Ozzie's Pizza

Ottawa East News

An early morning fire couldn’t stop an Osgoode pizzeria owner from making one last round of deliveries.

Ozzie’s Pizza in Osgoode suffered $60,000 in damage after a fire on Wednesday, Nov. 27.

Just before 4 a.m., a newspaper carrier reported the pizzeria’s front deck was in flames. When fire crews arrived the flames had spread inside the building, located at 5657 Osgoode Main St., across from the community centre.

No injuries were reported, but the Ottawa fire department said there were about $50,000 in damages to the building and $10,000 to its contents.

According to Peter Dawson, father of restaurant owner Om Dawson, his son rose above the news of the fire to deliver a round of pizzas to North Gower Public School on Wednesday morning with the help of a local restaurant.

A stack of pizzas and lunch food prepared the night before were in the restaurant freezer, so Om arranged to cook them at Marlborough Pub and Eatery in time for the 11:15 a.m. lunch hour.

Joe Patrick, Marlborough Pub’s breakfast cook, said he got a call around 9 a.m. and found room in his kitchen to help the owner out.

“It was to help the kids,” Patrick said. “It was two more people in the kitchen and a bit more work, but it didn’t matter. It was fun to do.”

Dawson said the delivery will likely be the restaurant’s last for at least a while, as the business’s future hangs in jeopardy.

“It’s hard to say how much damage has been done to the building,” Dawson said. “It’s knocked my son out of business. How it gets put back in place, I don’t know.”

Fire services spokesperson Marc Messier said the fire is not deemed suspicious, but could have started from carelessness such as a dropped lit cigarette.

“Its way too early in the investigation,” he said. “It’s all part of the process of elimination.”

Bookmark and Share


In Your Neighbourhood Today